The Joint Institute for VLBI ERIC (JIVE) invites applications for the position of JIVE Support Scientist to become available from as early as April 2022. The position has a 50%-50% split between support duties and the appointee's own research. Deadline for applications is 1 February 2022.
Principal support responsibilities include:
- assisting EVN users to schedule and analyse VLBI experiments;
- monitoring EVN performance through dedicated test observations;
- overseeing the correlation of experiments: data-quality review;
- preparation of PI/station feedback, liaison with users and network telescopes, etc.;
- maintaining/developing features of the EVN pipeline;
- testing new correlator/network capabilities;
- data reduction support for users as well as training students (primarily for users and summer students visiting JIVE, but may include some online assistance for other users/students).
The position may also involve a modest amount of other local-service collateral duties, such as installation and maintaining astronomy software, developing scripts/bits of software for correlator and/or user support, organising colloquia – depending on the skills and interest of the candidate.
The candidate should have earned a Ph.D. in astronomy, space science, or other relevant field by the time of taking up the position. Experience in radio interferometry, and in particular with VLBI processing software would be a plus. A good command of written and spoken English is essential.
Terms of employment
The terms of employment are in accordance with the Dutch Collective Labour Agreement Research Institutions.
- A full-time 38 hours per week temporary appointment in the service of the Netherlands Foundation of Scientific Research Institutes (NWO-I) for the duration of two years which can be extended for a total duration of three years based on good performance.
- A gross monthly salary, on a full time basis, in the range of € 3,430 to € 4,514 depending on relevant experience.
- A holiday allowance of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.33% of the gross annual salary.
- A solid pension scheme (ABP).
- 42 vacation days per year on a full time basis.
- An excellent package of secondary benefits, including relocation expenses, an opportunity to participate in the collective healthcare insurance and a possibility for parental leave.
JIVE is an equal-opportunity employer. Applicants of any nationality are welcome to apply and we are especially interested in applications from women and other traditionally under-represented groups.
Applications should contain a CV including a list of publications, and a description of research interests. Please forward application materials to email@example.com, mentioning reference number JIVE2022/01. Please also arrange for three letters of reference to be sent separately to the same address. All application materials should arrive by 1 February 2022.
Further Information about the position
Find full information on the vacancy here.
For more information on the content of this vacancy, please contact Dr. R.M. Campbell, Head of Science Operations (firstname.lastname@example.org). For more information about the procedure, please contact Erika Timmerman, HR Officer, phone: +31 521-595-100, or e-mail: email@example.com.
The Joint Institute for VLBI ERIC (JIVE) has as its primary mission to operate and develop the European VLBI Network (EVN) data processor, a powerful supercomputer that combines the signals from radio telescopes located across the planet. Founded in 1993, JIVE is since 2015 a European Research Infrastructure Consortium (ERIC) with seven member countries: France, Italy, Latvia, the Netherlands, United Kingdom, Spain and Sweden; additional support is received from partner institutes in China, Germany and South Africa. JIVE is hosted by the NWO-I Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy (ASTRON) in the Netherlands.
Head of Science Operations
Joint Institute for VLBI ERIC (JIVE)
Jorge Rivero González
Science Communications Officer
Joint Institute for VLBI ERIC (JIVE)