Are you passionate about astronomy? Do you have excellent communication and writing skills? Do you want to join a dynamic and international team of scientists working on cutting-edge research? If so, you might be the perfect candidate for the Communications Officer position at JIVE!
Since 1993, the Joint Institute for VLBI ERIC (JIVE) has supported the European VLBI Network (EVN) to foster excellent science in the field of radio astronomy. JIVE runs the core data processing and user services that turn EVN’s worldwide network of radio telescopes into a single observatory to study the sky at the highest possible spatial resolution.
Our headquarters are in Dwingeloo (NL). JIVE is hosted by ASTRON, the Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy; Dutch universities are within easy reach of Dwingeloo. We offer a vibrant workplace and center of expertise where we strive to achieve scientific excellence. The working language within the organization is English.
Reason for the vacancy
After our previous Communication Officer moved abroad, we are looking for a new colleague.
Your role as Communication Officer at JIVE
We are looking for an experienced Communication Officer who can adapt quickly to our dynamic workplace. The job is a very diverse position in an ambitious international organization where internal and external profiling is a significant challenge. You understand how to reach the world and make JIVE even more visible.
You will set up a communication strategy, PR plan, and various campaigns at a strategic level, while simultaneously running their implementations. Cooperation with the internal organization and our astronomers is very important. You will work closely with the director and project managers. You understand and recognize everyone’s intrinsic passion for astronomy and engineering. Youappreciate and know how to communicate fundamental science. You are responsible for press releases, the newsletter, and editing (scientific) texts. In addition to branding, webpages, and social media, you will (further) build a network of PR people, nationally and internationally. These are challenging tasks and therefore you will be given the freedom to shape your role within the organization.
Who are you? You:
- are communicatively strong and socially very skilled. You are open, visible and approachable to the entire organization.
- understand and speak the language of our scientists
- advise and execute on strategic, tactical and operational levels
- master spoken and written English fluently
- are down to Earth and have a strong personality
- know better than anyone how to prioritize, structure and professionalize, and can say “no” when necessary
- are proactive, inventive and creative
- think in possibilities and solutions
- have a bachelor’s or Master’s degree or equivalent experience
- have five years of experience in a similar role
Moreover, you love that on Monday you can’t predict what your week will look like!
What would success look like?
You will be a success in this position when you are visible in and for the entire organization. You know how to stay engaged from the moment you are involved in (the early stages of) a project. You know how to build and maintain good relationships internally and externally – nationally and internationally. You make clear and constructive contributions to the visibility and profile of JIVE. You know how to translate the complexity of our profession to the public and other stakeholders. Together with your colleagues, you want to strengthen JIVE’s position as a scientific center of excellence for radio astronomy in Europe and beyond.
Terms of employment:
- Excellent employment conditions according to the Collective Labor Agreement for research institutions (€3,019 – €4,789 on a full-time basis)
- You can partially work from home (maximum 40%)
- You will attend international events a few times per year
- If applicable, relocation costs can be reimbursed
- You become part of a professional and welcoming team with great colleagues.
Due to visa-related restrictions, preference will be given to EU passport holders.
Having a driver’s license and a car will be an advantage because the institute is at a remote location, not accessible by public transport.
Do you have questions, or do you want to apply directly?
Both are possible! Feel free to contact Lianne Scholtissen at +31 6 13236009 | firstname.lastname@example.org. *
Applications should be submitted by 5 June.
*Queenfishers will handle the recruitment & selection for this vacancy